Visa Application [fr]

Note: This section applies to foreigners wishing to travel to France.
If your question is about visas for Hong Kong or Macau, please visit the immigration department of Hong Kong website or the Macau government website.

To qualify for a Schengen visa issued by the Consulate General of France in Hong Kong and Macau:
- France must be your main destination
- You must be an actual and current resident in Hong Kong or Macau.

It is mandatory to obtain an appointment online to apply for a visa.
The personal appearance of every applicant is required. They must come in person at the visa section at the time of the scheduled appointment made online only and present their passport and all original documents with a complete set of photocopies. The Consulate won’t do any photocopies and it won’t be possible to complete your application later. Only visa applicants are allowed to enter the visa section. Third parties are not allowed to accompany visa applicants and will therefore remain outside unless the applicant is a minor (under 18 years), who must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a proof of identity. French citizens are not allowed to accompany visa applicants (unless it is their minor child).

All documents submitted to the visa department have to be written in French or English. If not, they have to be accompanied by a certified translation.

1- Do you need a visa?

All foreign nationals who wish to come to France must be able to present at the border regulatory proof of the purpose of stay, means of subsistence and proof of accommodation. In certain circumstances, a visa is required. It must be requested before your departure at the French consulate.

1.1- Nationals from Hong Kong and Macau

If you hold a passport of the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau (SAR) or British National Overseas (BNO), you are exempted from the visa requirement to go to France and the countries of the Schengen area for a stay of less than 90 days (short stay) over a period of 180 days. If you are going to engage in a gainful employment in France, you will need to have a proper work permit in some cases. Since January 1, 2002, SAR and BNO passport holders no longer need a visa to travel to the DOM-TOM.

Holders of the "Document of Identity" or "Travel Permit" need a visa to enter French territory.

1.2- Citizens from other countries

If you are living in Hong Kong or Macau and have another type of passport, have a look at the Foreign nationals holding ordinary passports exempt from visa requirements section of the website of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

1.3- Person who already holds a valid Schengen visa issued by another Schengen State

If you hold a valid Schengen visa issued by a consulate or embassy of another Schengen State, the visa is valid for the entire Schengen area (which includes the European territory of France), unless marked otherwise on the visa sticker and as long as the visa is valid.

The Schengen area includes the following countries (in alphabetical order): Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (the European territory of France), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. There is no immigration control at the border between the countries of the Schengen area, except under special circumstances.

The United Kingdom and Ireland are not part of the Schengen area.

The French overseas departments (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyana, Reunion), French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, Mayotte, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Saint Martin and Saint Barthelemy, French Southern and Antarctic Lands are not located in the Schengen area. A Schengen visa does not allow his holder to enter French territories located outside of Europe. To enter a French territory located outside of Europe, foreigners (except those who are exempted) must apply for a special visa that only the French consular authority may issue (or prefectural authority for foreigners that are already in France).

2- Can you apply at the Consulate General of France in Hong Kong & Macau?

2.1- You must live in Hong Kong or Macau

You must submit your visa application in person to the French consular office in your usual country of residence. You cannot apply by post nor email.

2.2- Your main destination must be France

The main destination country is the Schengen state which will host the activity motivating your trip or, in case of equivalent motives, the Schengen state where you will spend most of your time.

Thus, if the main purpose of your trip (visiting family, business ...) takes place in another Schengen state, even if you stay in France longer, it is the consular authority of the other Schengen State which is competent. However, if you visit several states for the same purpose (tourism ...), it is the Schengen state in which you stay the longest which will be competent.

In this second case, it is therefore the Consulate of France who is competent to deal with your application if, for example, you plan to enter the Schengen area through another country than France, but it is in France that you will spend the longest time. However, if you enter the Schengen area by France but your main destination is in another country of the Schengen area, it is the consular authority of the other country which is competent. If your stays in the various Schengen states are of equal length and motives, it is the state in which you enter the Schengen area first which is competent.


1. I’m going to Europe for holidays. I first arrive in Italy for 4 days. Then I go to France for 5 days. ==> I apply for my visa at the French consulate because it is the country where I will spend most of my holidays.

2. I have to go to France for a 3-day business trip. But I take the opportunity of being in Europe to visit Germany first during 1 week. ==> I apply for my business visa with the French consulate because the main purpose of my stay in the Schengen area is the business trip.

ATTENTION : We will not take your application if your main destination is not France. You will be redirected to the competent consulate.

3- What type of visa do you need?

The list of documents required for each purpose of travel to France is only indicative. Other documents may be requested if necessary.

Each applicant must submit a full set of documents, including each member of families applying together.

The type of visa required to enter France depends on both the duration and purpose of the intended stay, except in special cases:
- For stays equal to or shorter than 90 days over a 180-day period, the visa to be issued is a short-stay visa called "Schengen visa"
- For stays longer than 90 days, the visa to be issued is a long-stay visa appropriate to the duration of and reasons for your stay.

Once you are in France, you cannot have your visa modified nor change your immigration status.

SHORT STAY (maximum 90 days) - SCHENGEN VISA

Schengen Consulates in Hong Kong and Macao have established a mutual list of supporting documents for Schengen visa applications. To download the list, please click here.

Please refer to the visa type applicable to your stay for more details:

- Business trip

- Tourism or visiting family or friends

- Studies (for a period of less than 90 days)

- Domestic worker

- Research or teaching and research

- As a spouse of a French national

- As a spouse of a EU, EEA or Swiss national

- Internship (student)

LONG STAY (more than 90 days)

France has developed a one-stop information centre to guide candidates for expatriation as well as their families. It describes the various formalities required before moving to France and during the first few years there.
To access this website, please click

- Studies (for a period of more than 90 days)

- Intra Corporate Transfer (ICT) - Professional trainee and posted employee

- Talent Passport - Highly skilled individuals

- As a spouse of a French national

- Internship (student)

- Working in France

- Working Holiday

- Visitor (more than 90 days)

4- What is the processing time for issuing a visa?

After you have submitted your application, the consular authority processes it and makes a decision. The consular authority provides an answer as soon as possible, depending on the checks it may have to carry out. There is no point in contacting the consular authority again during this processing period.

If you are asked to submit additional documents, you may do so, either in person or through somebody else acting on your behalf, by presenting the original application receipt from Monday to Friday (except public holidays and Thursdays), between 2:00 and 2:30 pm.

It is highly recommended that you apply for your visa several weeks prior to your departure, especially during peak periods of the year (from mid-April to the end of July and in December). The processing time for issuing a short-stay visa is usually 2 working days (depending on the applicant’s nationality) after submitting the complete application to the consulate. The average time for issuing a long-stay visa is 10 to 15 working days (4 to 6 weeks for the working holiday visa).

ATTENTION: There is no express application process.

If you have received no answer within 2 months, you may consider that your visa application has been refused (implicit refusal).

You, or another person acting on your behalf, can collect your passport by presenting the original application receipt on the day indicated on it or any working day (Monday to Friday) afterwards, always between 4:00 and 4:30 pm.

Note: we cannot issue a visa more than 3 months before your departure date.

5- What travel documents?

National passports (ordinary, diplomatic, service, official), as well as "Documents of Identity for Visa purpose" for Hong Kong and “travel permits” for Macau are recognized for affixing visas.

If you hold another type of travel document, you should consult the visa section.

The Community Code on Visas has introduced two standards:
- the travel document must contain at least two blank pages for affixing a visa and entry stamps,
- the travel document must have been issued within the last 10 years.

Note : The period of validity of your passport must be greater than 3 months from the date of expiry of the visa requested. If the validity of your passport is not long enough, you must apply for an extension or renewal of your passport.

6- How much does it cost?

The Entry and stay visas : Application fees section of the website of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs lists all the application fees in euros. The amount payable to the Consulate in Hong Kong dollars can fluctuate according to the exchange rate.

The fees are payable exclusively in Hong Kong dollars, by credit card or cash (with exact change only).

Note: Whether or not a visa is issued, the visa processing fee is not refundable.

7- Contact Us

If neither the information page of the website of the Consulate General of France in Hong Kong & Macau, nor the Getting a visa section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website, answer your question or if your case is unique and not mentioned on these two sources of information, you can contact us.

8- Application forms

PDF - 108.8 kb
Short stay visa application form (1-90 days)
(PDF - 108.8 kb)
PDF - 255.1 kb
Long stay visa application form (+ 90 days)
(PDF - 255.1 kb)
PDF - 35.3 kb
OFII application form
(PDF - 35.3 kb)

9- Q&A visa

publié le 04/08/2017

top of the page