Practical information about Hong Kong higher education system

Why Hong Kong?

Because the city is culturally fascinating by being the perfect melting pot of Chinese and Western cultures. The local education system is recognized as one of the best in the word and locals’ universities are ranking among the word’s top in various fields (check out the latest ranking from QS Ranking and the Times Higher Education for more details).


You don’t speak Chinese? Don’t worry, the official language in most of the universities is English. If you are someone quite a bit adventurous we can learn Mandarin or even Cantonese (the mother language spoken by most of the people in Hong Kong) by enrolling in extra-courses.


Technically, you can accomplish or pursue your studies in Hong Kong by following two different pathways: Individual student or exchange programs.

Exchange program]

Being an exchange student confers multiples benefits ranging from simplest process to integrate the local universities to spare local tuitions fees.

In more details, by being an exchange students you don’t have to pay tuitions fees required by your host universities. The program you are enroll in is already precisely established by the two parties. Thus, you are strongly advice to attend all the courses mentioned in your program in order to obtained the grade needed to complete the original diploma from your French university. Except some very specific cases, you will not get any diploma from the host university.

Some scholarships have been implemented to help students to study oversea. Some of them are cumulative to funding already perceived while studying in France.
To summarize, while studding in a university oversea you are still student from your French University and all the courses will be included in your original curriculum.

Be careful, to be able to come to Hong Kong or Macau to undertake an exchange program, a pre-existing agreement must be concluded with local university.

Individual student

You must organize alone all the steps required from the beginning to then end. You have to contact by yourself the university of your choice, pay all the tuitions fees (please note that tuitions fees are much higher in Hong Kong than in France, for a Bachelor degree for instance, the annual fees are between 6000 to 8000 euros). Moreover, after your trip when you will be back to France you will have to get recognition of your credits or diplomas obtained abroad.

Conversely, to apply for a university in Hong Kong, you will have to assert your French diploma and most of the time provide a proof for your language capabilities (usually by showing a good result at the TOEFEL exam).

As the whole process can take time to be fully completed, we strongly advise you start preparing your project at least one year ahead.

To summarize, if you want to study abroad, the first step is to search carefully some pieces of information about the education system of the country you are targeting and then contact the Department for International Relation of the university you wish to apply for.

Please find out via the following link some information about the higher education system in Hong Kong

How to finance your studies

-  Accommodation: Local Universities usually provide accommodation for students. You can except something around 1000 euros / year for a double room in most of the locales universities.

-  Restaurant within the universities are usually quite cheap (around 4 euros for a decent meal).

-  Tuition fees for people applying directly to the university may vary between 6000 to 15000 euros per year depending of the field.

Overall, doing study abroad is a good experience but imply paying a little more than in France. Doing an exchange program is a good way to keep cost very low while organizing everything by your own give you more freedom but might be a little be costlier.

To meet your needs, it might be interesting to check out for scholarships available. Some universities in Hong Kong offer some support to students but they are often dedicated to students with a very exceptional record. To have more information please visit the website of the university concerned.

As a reminder, while being a student in Hong Kong, it is completely forbidden to work, even in part-time.

If you come to Hong Kong to study for more than 3 moths, keep in mind that you have to apply for a student visa. This specific visa will be delivered by the Hong Kong Immigration Department to study in Hong Kong.

publié le 05/01/2017

top of the page