March 20 is the International Francophonie Day which is observed within the International Organization of La Francophonie’s 77 member states to celebrate the French language and Francophone culture. It recognizes the richness and diversity of the French language and French culture shared by hundreds of millions of people around the world.
This year in Hong Kong, 2018 Francophonie Festival Hong Kong and Macau is bringing the general public in Hong Kong a series of activities in order to honour the French language: from multicultural exchanges to free flow of ideas, from exhibitions to award ceremonies, from comedy shows to theatrical productions, from literary figures encounter to musical performance, from poetry writing to film screenings - and many more.
New attractions and highlights not to be missed
New events and special highlights at this year’s festival :
• Renowned French figures’ visits in town: French writer and psychanalyst Marie Darrieussecq (March 23 to 24), French cartoonist Etienne Davodeau (March 19 to 25) , French actor and director Jacques Weber (March 13)
• Renowned French writer Shan Sa visiting Hong Kong and Macau for "The Script Road - Macau Literary Festival" (March 10 - 25)
• French research vessel coming to Hong Kong (March 7 - 15)
Visits to the vessel and exhibitions will be open to the public to discover the rich diversity and urgency to protect and preserve the marine environment.
• Selection of finalist from Hong Kong for the final round of "Dictée de Pivot" in Beijing on March 20
• « Dis-moi dix mots » Campaign, initiated by the French Ministry of Culture and Communication to honour French language via writing workshops
• As for concerts, francophiles in Hong Kong will for sure not be disappointed to enjoy the performance from the French group Fergessen at the « Mars en Folie » Concert which is co-organised by Alliance Française and consulates of Switzerland, Canada and Belgium
• Theatrical productions: Hong Kong French Theatre Festival, and this year’s specials: performance by Jacques Weber and that of French comedian Félix.
• Film screenings from various French-speaking countries and their rich cinematographic universe being held at various locations including universities, school and Alliance Francaise
• "9th Pearl River Delta Inter-University French Speech Competition" gathering students from ten universities in the Pearl River Delta region including Hong Kong and Guangdong, to honour French language and all related values
This year’s Francophonie Festival Hong Kong and Macau’s success would not have been made possible without our partners. We would like to extend our gratitude to our partners: Alliance Française, Association of Teachers of French in Hong Kong and Macau, Hong Kong Baptist University, University of Hong Kong, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Education University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Parenthèses bookstore, Macau Script Road Festival and French magazine « Sauvés par le Kong ».
Overview of the festival - e-booklet:
Detailed description of events in this year’s festival - please click here